Registration, Save the Date and Tryouts FAQ
June 1st – June 13th
Four 1-hour and 15 minute sessions – plus a Sunday AM game
Masks are required ON and OFF the ice — we abide by SF Department of Health Protocol and will update as restrictions change.
8U: 2013 & younger
Head Coach – Peter Korcsinszky
Tue & Thu 6:15-7:15pm
(no game for 8U — no cuts – everyone makes a squad)
10U: 2011 & 2012
Head Coach – Tim Nelson
Wed & Fri 6:30-7:45pm
GAME: Sunday, June 13th at 8:45 AM
12U: 2009 & 2010
Head Coach – Michelle Chee & Mark Smith
GAME: Sunday, June 13th at 10:30 AM
14U: 2007 & 2008
Head Coach – George Caliendo and Dave Duble
GAME: Sunday, June 6th at 8:45 AM
16U/HS: 2006 – 2003
Head Coach – Casey O’Sullivan
Tue & Thu 9:00-10:15pm
GAME: Sunday, June 6th at 10:30 AM
Tryout Camp Cost
No prorated discounts and no goalie discounts
- Send a payment via PayPal to email@example.com. Pleas be sure to use “Friends and Family” payment method, and in the notes please add first and last name, and birth year of skater(s).
- After your submitted your payment, email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can easily track our participants and ensure everyone has a spot on the ice.
- Waiver will be provided after payment.
Thank you so much for your continued support of our club – a 501 (c) 3 – run by parent volunteers just like you!
Save the Date – Sabercats Community “Town Hall” – via Zoom
Basic season information and Q & A on June 7th PM – Time TBD
Reminder that the impact of this weird year still lingers, as illustrated by this unusual tryouts.
When will we find out if our skater made a Sabercat team?
- NorCal Hockey does not permit A/BB/B travel teams to be announced prior to June 18, 2021.
- Sabercat teams will be announced no later than June 20th– emails will be sent to each player family.
- 8 U hockey is run a little differently — three are no cuts — the 8U coach will provide more 8U specific information at the time of try out.
Does my child have to designate a preference of what level they play like A or B?
- Level of team: A, BB, or B is determined by the league — after pre-season games, typically in September, the league assess teams with coach input and assigns the level.
What if a special circumstance prohibits my child from trying out during this 2 week try-out clinic?
- Contact the registrar and coach (if you know the coach already) with your need for accommodation and we will work out an alternative solution.
What is the team commitment in the summer?
- There are no formal team practices in June and July — although there will be an array of skills clinics and hockey camps to support players all summer.
- Typically, team practices start in August and often there are pre-season tournament opportunities over Labor Day weekend – a great way to help a team “gel” and prepare for the season.
Volunteer / Parent contribution
- All families are required to have at least one adult complete the SAFE SPORT Training (information provided in next newsletter) and there are many volunteer needs throughout the year from locker room monitors and score keepers to fundraisers and team managers .,.,.It definitely takes a village to run a youth hockey club!
And there are need-based scholarships available to help make hockey accessible for everyone.
San Francisco is in the Yellow, and the plans for the 2021-22 San Francisco Sabercat Ice Hockey Season are in the works! Stay tuned for more details on skills clinics, camps, in-house and A/B level hockey teams.
We are unable to conduct the typical try-out weekend with unlimited kids on the ice as we are still impacted by SF Public Health Department Covid-related guidelines and restrictions. In lieu of traditional tryouts, the San Francisco Sabercats will host a 2-week evaluation clinic June 1 – 13. Skaters/goalies must attend in order to be considered for the 2021-22. This replaces tryouts.
Specific times, dates & registration details coming soon!
Moving forward with the season is obviously going to be different as we all adjust to the state, county, and city restrictions and protocols impacting individual rinks and clubs. CAHA will not allow any formal league activities to occur until all rinks in all areas are open- as a result, there are no in-person try-outs this season for any teams at any levels.
Hockey clubs are moving forward with optimism for some sort of season in the future. NorCal Hockey voted Tuesday, November 17th to move forward with rostering teams despite no-in person tryouts. The decision is to replicate the TIER programs and build team rosters through “digitally signing” players.
Players will register for free with a club to be considered for the team roster. Coaches will select players based on their experience with players as well as gathering information from other coaches and other clubs. Players will receive an invitation to digitally sign with a team.
Tier teams will complete digital signings after 5pm, Friday December 4th. And A/BB/B travel teams signings will be Friday, December 11th.
San Francisco Sabercats Youth Hockey Registration will open soon – stay tuned for more details.
We are working with NORCAL and CAHA to gather more details as the tryout dates soon approach. The Sabercats will share more information as we receive it.
Tier II (AA) Signings = Friday, 12/04/2020 after 5:00pm.
Travel A/BB/B Signings = Friday, 12/11/2020
Sabercats Youth Hockey
Board of Directors